PHOTOGRAPHS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


FACT SHEET

“HISTORY OF THE INDUSTRIAL MUSEUM”

  • Soulé Steam Feed Works operated by the Soulé family for 110 years under George W. Soulé and his family members.

  • 80% of the original equipment remains at the site. The machine shop has the longest operating line drive shaft (106’) in the United States. The shaft is connected to belt-driven machines that date back to the early 1900s.

  • Produced 4,301 Soulé Spee-d-Twin Steam Engines. These engines were sold worldwide until the early 1980s. The last steam engine produced is displayed and operated in the steam demonstration room.

  • Rare Soulé Rotary Steam Engine from the early 1900s is displayed and operated in steam engine demonstration room. More than 2,300 produced and shipped worldwide.

  • Founder George W. Soulé held 25 U.S. patents.

  • Most products fulfilled the needs of the small to medium-sized sawmills that boomed from 1885-1930 in the South.

  • In 1979 the site was listed on National Register of Historical Places.

  • In July 2002 Jim McRae purchased the Soulé factory site from the Soulé family.

  • In October 2002 the Mississippi Industrial Heritage Museum, Inc. a non-profit corporation was founded to preserve and develop the Soulé factory site as an industrial museum.

  • In March 2003 the I.R.S. designed the museum as a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.

  • In December 2003, Jim McRae donated the historic Soulé Steam Feed Works site to the Mississippi Industrial Heritage Museum, Inc.

  • Designated Mississippi Landmark in 2003.

  • Designated Official State Historical Industrial Museum in 2004.

  • In 2005 the preliminary Historic American Engineering Survey documentation was started through a Summer Work Program Grant from the Riley Foundation.

  • In 2005 extensive research prepared as a proposal for the National Park Service Landmark Program revealed that Soulé Steam Feed Works was only one of five 20th century foundry/machine shops with original workings that remained intact in the United States. Since 2005 one of those sites, the Watt-Campbell Company factory site has been altered and portions were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.